Re: How to get dpkg to remove directories?

On 11-Jun-02, 17:49 (CDT), Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> It does seem odd that common practice for /etc/init.d and
> /etc/cron.daily aren't the same.

Well, I guess I'd say it's common for /etc/cron.daily scripts to call external
programs, as they are really just an easy way for people to add

	25 6 * * * root somescript

to /etc/crontab. OTOH, it's common for the init.d scripts to handle
all the arguments (start, stop, etc.) internally. They're both treated
as configuration files, because you want the user/admin to be able to
change them (perhaps moving the cron.daily script to cron.weekly, or
changing the init script to not process "start"). It makes sense if
you consider what you want the the admin to be able to do w/o being
overwritten the next time the package is upgraded. Or maybe I've just
been using debian too long[1].

Steve

[1] My current employer is Linux friendly (good!), but settled on
Redhat for all the usual reasons. I've been working with/developing
on Redhat for the last 8 months. I am unimpressed, to say the least.
As it happens, because Redhat is in the habit of changing the way it
configures the network everytime it makes a release[2], and we are tired
of modifying our documentation, he's open to the idea of switching to
Debian.

[2] I don't suppose anyone can tell me the difference between
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and /etc/sysconfig/networking, why we
need both, and why they are laid out differently?

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net