How to get dpkg to remove directories?

I'm completely stumped.  I can't figure out how to get dpkg to
completely remove a package.  I've created a package that
contains nothing but two empty files:

 /etc/foo/config
 /etc/foo/bar

The first is a conffile, the second isn't.

Doing dpkg -i followed by dpkg --purge leaves the /etc/foo
directory.

Why?

Are packages expected to provide postrm scripts that go through
and delete left-over diretories?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Oh my GOD -- the
                                  at               SUN just fell into YANKEE