Re: How to get dpkg to remove directories?

On 11 Jun 2002, grante@visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:

> I'm still not convinced that files in /etc/init.d and
> /etc/cron.daily should conffiles.  They're not supposed to be
> edited: that's why I created conffiles under /etc.

/etc is comprised only of conffiles and maintainer-script managed
configuration files. Such is policy.
Stuff in /etc/init.d should be editable by local sysadmin. Of course,
putting config stuff in /etc/default/ sourced by /etc/init.d/ is
encouraged, so the sysadmin will not have to edit the init.d script.
However, since you cannot predict every option, the local sysadmin
*must* be able to edit init.d stuff and cron.* stuff, and have
her changes respected.