Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> This is not a contest; Debian is about providing the best Free
> Operating System that we can make, not just about market share.  Today,
> making the best Free OS that we can means sticking out the release
> delays, knowing that when woody does come out it will remain the most
> secure and best integrated Linux distro available.

Sure I know about this general statement. But in the precise case I was
talking about, we know there is a timing issue and what happened with
XFree 4.2 is not a mechanical consequence of the above statement. IIRC,
and Branden will yell if I am wrong, XFree 4.2 was (months ago) not
thrown to unstable *because* Branden, like many others, thought that
woody would release sooner. So the delay for this package is a bit
artificial: I mean, it is not just a consequence of the requirements for
"providing the best free OS that we can make" (i.e., mainly, testing the
packages before labelling them "stable").

But I *don't* want to start another huge thread. I just want to make
people who say "woody is not released, but you can use it, so what's
your problem?" realize that they didn't grok the whole picture.

--
Florent