Re: Do you use the DBS? Document it!

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:38:25AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> The problem with standardization is why I now maintain the dbs package,
> however, I suspect not many programs use it (ones that do use it include
> krb4, heimdal, and hello-dbs; this list may be incomplete)[1].
>
> However, I am still not happy with this solution, ideally dpkg-source
> should support dbs itself, without needing to include the upstream
> source archive within a .orig.tar.gz file (this makes it awkward to
> convert a dbs source to non-dbs source and vice versa, unless you can
> change the upstream version number).
>
> If you can think of (and write) better documentation to include in the
> dbs package, please let me know.
>
> Notes:
> [1] It also needs to be enhanced to support *.tar.bzip2, and *.zip.
> --
> Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

It is great to know DBS is packaged.

A while ago, when I was trying to fix a package which used very old
buggy DBS, it was bitch to find the official good upstream and ended up
fixing DBS in ad-hoc manner.  It was ugly.  But I liked concept of DBS.

Does not look like NM guide or developer-reference mention it.

Osamu

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.