Re: 2.4.18-686 freezes on a Dell Inspiron 4100 (but not 2.4.18-bf2.4)

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 03:26 pm, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 00:12, Svante Signell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently installed Debian Woody pre-release on a Dell Inspiron 4100
> > using the mini-cd with boot-floppy kernel-2.4.18-bf2.4. The
> > installation went OK and, after upgrading from the network using
> > apt-get, it was time to switch to a full release kernel, so I
> > installed kernel-image-2.4.18-686.
> >
> > Obviously the kernels are based on similar kernel sources (2.4.18-686
> > is from 2.4.18-5, 2.4.18-bf2.4 is from 2.4.18-??). The release kernel
> > has more functions compiled as modules and is also initrd-based.
> >
> > However, the release kernel freezes (hard) while the bf-kernel does
> > not. One very simple test to trigger the freeze is to run on AC power
> > and remove the AC plug or vice versa. Nothing specific has been found
> > in the system logs.
>
> I had the same problem, as other people had (as I found out looking in
> linux-laptops.org and other places), and it was due to the LOCAL_APIC
> being enabled in the kernel. That is, make sure you disable SMP support,
> and when you do so, 'make menuconfig' should show the LOCAL_APIC option,
> Disable it, since it seems the 4100 has some problem with it.
>
> As soon as I did that, everything worked perfectly.

<aol>
Me, too!
</aol>

But seriously. I had the same problem with my Inspiron 8100, and the same
fix worked fine for me. I'm told that it's a BIOS bug. I was bitten with A08,
the version shipped with my laptop. I've since upgraded to A11. If anyone is
interested, I'll test the stock kernel and see if it still crashes.