2.4.18-686 freezes on a Dell Inspiron 4100 (but not 2.4.18-bf2.4)

Hello,

I recently installed Debian Woody pre-release on a Dell Inspiron 4100
using the mini-cd with boot-floppy kernel-2.4.18-bf2.4. The
installation went OK and, after upgrading from the network using
apt-get, it was time to switch to a full release kernel, so I
installed kernel-image-2.4.18-686.

Obviously the kernels are based on similar kernel sources (2.4.18-686
is from 2.4.18-5, 2.4.18-bf2.4 is from 2.4.18-??). The release kernel
has more functions compiled as modules and is also initrd-based.

However, the release kernel freezes (hard) while the bf-kernel does
not. One very simple test to trigger the freeze is to run on AC power
and remove the AC plug or vice versa. Nothing specific has been found
in the system logs.

I have tried to remove as many modules as possible and have come down
to a short list of modules loaded by the release kernel while
compiled-in by the bf-kernel:
unix, ide-disk, ide-probe-mod, ide-mod, ext3 and jbd.

Is there a known problem with the Inspiron and ext3 support or
ide-support as modules?  Anything else?

The apm, agpgart, radeon and radeonfb are modules in both kernels and
they have no effect on the freeze.

BTW: I would like to use the radeon (ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY) driver
instead of vesa, but that's not supported until v4.2+ of XFree86,
correct? How to obtain åäö (sv_SE.iso-8859-1) both in console and X?

Hoping for help,
Svante Signell