Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:27:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:09:08PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:56:48AM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> > > He's out of date WRT current practice. And some networks have more than
> > > one gateway, in which case it can be desirable to administer on the
> > > hosts with the relevent services.
> > Wouldn't it be more secure to use two (or at least one) dedicated
> > firewalls on each way out of the LAN?
>
> Wouldn't it be more secure to audit every line of code in the kernel
> and the entire distro on a daily basis? Probably, but we can't afford
> it. Not everyone can afford dedicated firewall boxes either. Even if they
> can, defense-in-depth would indicate that they should use a dedicated
> firewalling on the server as well as a dedicated firewall box and access
> control at the application level and whatever else they can arrange.

That's the core of the security of the Hurd. It makes it possible to
run a lot of things without root or other special permissions
(i.e. without uids). In that way, untrusted code isn't a problem.

I think firewalls are useless things. I think that restricting people
with all kinds of security mechanisms is wrong too. But that's just me.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org