Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:54:54PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> Neither have any of the BSDs, or Solaris, or HP-UX, or Tru64, or SCO,
> or...
>
> In the case of BSD, we already know that they seem to need such a
> submission.  Its absence is telling, especially given that BSD has been
> around for much longer than Linux has, and is no less free (if such a
> consideration is even relevant).

And the answer is quite easy to understand. The FHS is the inheritor of the
FSSTD, which *was* Linux-specific. It has made both effort and provision
to become less so, but the "rest of the world" has pretty much entirely
ignored it, because they already *have* filesystem standards (SCO, Tru64,
and Solaris have commercially defined ones, the BSD ones use a more classic
BSD layout, generally).

So, in other words, "None of them care". Until now, when some of us fools
want to do things that cross the lines. Guess it's time to go join the FHS
lists and lurk for a while; getting things approved is going to take some
time.