Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 06:51, Michael Stone wrote:
> Quite the opposite. I worry that debian/hurd will be gratuitously
> different from debian/linux in places where it doesn't have to be.

Except that, later, you say:

> No, please don't, because your examples are misguided. I don't believe
> that I've heard any serious suggestion that hurd should be forced to
> have a /proc.

Wouldn't that be a "gratuitous difference" between Linux and HURD?  (And
BSD?).  Perhaps /proc should be moved; maybe we should create
/lib/kernel/proc or /var/spool/proc or something.

Arguments for /proc are exactly like arguments for /hurd, with one
difference: Linux has had political pull and historic precedent to get
its exceptions canonized; HURD, as an unreleased OS, has not.

So, the proper question is not whether there is a technical reason to
change the Linux-biased standard. Rather, we should ask whether we will
allow the HURD to develop without artificial non-technical pressures
from "legacy" systems, and perhaps allow our definition of "what is
Debian" to be altered to accomodate the new ideas it brings.