HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

Hi all.

I'd like to add my small contribution to all these discussions that have been
irreversibly turned to flames. IMHO, all this smoke made most DD loose their
focus.

It seems to me that most of us are trying to meaninglessly force the HURD to
be Linux compliant, where this is not necessary. What is the problem if the
HURD systems have a '/{hurd,servers,libexec}'? Do you wary you will see those
`frightening monstrosity' in you `marvelous' Linux system?
OTOH, why a Linux or BSD* system should install or consider those architecture
specific components? Why should Debian HURD or BSD* have '/lib/modules',
'/proc' or whatever '/sblisca/antani' dir Linux depends on? should i go on
with examples?

We do have an ambitious goal: the universal operating system.
To me, this means that we aim to have an consistent operating system on any
architecture. Hence, it means we should focus on providing an operating system
that *MUST* offer the same interface for those packages that declares to
work on multiple or any architecture.

FSH is your problem? Debian Policy, then? Why? Aren't we able to distinguish
between HURD, BSD* or Linux specific components? Should we be able, couldn't we
now abstract a common interface for the cases we need (building, on the most)?

Neither Linux, nor the HURD, nor BSD* have to be the same. We should be
thankful to this number of _different_ choices (actually `way of thinking').
We neither need nor have to make it the same melting pot on any architecture:
should we do, what will make this a different situation from `M$ ce-me-nt'?

Please, don't behave as narrow minded or fundamentalist (on any side), it
won't help growing.

ciao,

P.S.: One of these days, I'll write the "Best Mail Sending Practice".
Someone could find it to be of use.
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have