Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:36:57AM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> So if /proc is allowed for compatibility reasons, why is libexec not so
> allowed?

Because mandating libexec in debian would cause us to move things in
existing packages for multiple architectures. Or have hurd be a special
case.  libexec does not encompass items that exist only on the hurd--is
that so hard to understand? I don't see any need to repeat the details
to someone who's trying to prolong a discussion that seems fairly well
settled.

> I'm also amused that the thought of a Linux bias engenders such fear,
> uncertainty, and doubt in you.

Your accusation engenders no such in me, because I'm aware of the facts.
But repeating the fallacy in your attempt to instill FUD may confuse
other people, which is why I called you on it.

> Indeed, I see no such sections for any OS other than Linux.  Is that
> evidence of a bias?  I think so.

You're wrong again. It means the hurd people haven't gotten around to
submitting their stuff. The document was intentionally designed with
extensibility in mind, which is hardly indicitive of a bias; the very
fact that fhs attempts to seperate generic material from linux-specific
material demonstrates the fallacy of your argument. I won't claim that
it's perfect, but few things are. If you have specific problems with the
fhs you should take them up with the fhs people, not sling obviously
false accusations that debian is clinging to a biased document.

> > Instead of the hand-wringing, could you provide some concrete examples
> > of cases where the Debian organization has forced hurd to abandon a
> > technical enhancement, so we could discuss some factual material?
>
> Sure.
>
> "HURD doesn't need /hurd, and should learn to get along without it."

You're wrong again. Doesn't seem to me that any decision has been made
or that the hurd developers have changed anything. I guess you misread
"has forced hurd to abandon"--because I don't see that the hurd's been
forced to do anything in your example.

--
Mike Stone