Re: nomarch-1.2 - Problems with RLE patent 4,586,027

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:20:24AM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:

> > Either Debian must decide that these things are bull and ignore them
> > or it must cease to be.  Those are the only two options available to
> > us.  These patents are ridiculous and meaningless.  The holders of
> > these patents know it, and they don't actually enforce them because
> > they realize how stupid it would be and how easily prior art could be
> > proven if necessary.

> Hey! You with the balls! Yeah, you! DO it! Get the patents recinded!

> If not, please don't talk about balls or backbones :)

> Lawyers: how fast could this be, and how expensive? Also, is it in fact
> necessary, or can we just ignore them, hoping someone else doesn't fall
> victim to them?

IANAL, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not possible in the US to
make an affirmative suit challenging a patent; I believe you must be
sued *first* by the patent holder for infringement.  Which means the
best way to fight them is by ignoring them and proving they have no
teeth.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer