Re: nomarch-1.2 - Problems with RLE patent 4,586,027

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:58:28AM +1200, Matthew Grant wrote:

> Could you please withdraw the nomarch package from the main upload
> queue.  This thing belongs in non-free.

> Sorry about this. I have tried to be careful. Who would have thought
> that such an obvious compression technique (Run Length Encoding - count
> number of bytes in a row of same value, store count and byte value) is
> covered by a software patent?  Due to only using LZW decompression and
> Huffman encoding, I thought that this thing was in the clear.  Instead
> I find compression technology has a big raft of software patents...

> See the compresion FAQ up at
> ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/compression-faq/ section 1
> for the goods on it....

> Could you please withdraw the nomarch package from the main upload
> queue.  This thing belongs in non-free.

> I have just done some further investigation of the IP behind this thing,
> and the RLE decoding is covered by a Hitachi patent 4,586,027 (filed
> 08/07/84, granted 04/29/86) that is due to run out in July 2004 I
> believe.

Patents have not generally been regarded as rendering software non-free.
If the license on the software itself meets the DFSG, I believe it's
sufficient to move the package to non-US/main, rather than to non-free.
(Note also that tagging the package as 'non-free' doesn't grant anyone
the right to distribute it in countries where doing so infringes on a
patent-holder's rights.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer