Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 09:40:10AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:19:11AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > [jaqque@athena:~]% login
> > No utmp entry.  You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh"
> > zsh: exit 1     login
>
> This is a restriction that the Hurd login doesn't have.  login works fine
> at any level, for any user.  I don't know why login is in /bin on GNU/Linux,
> though, if it can't be used by normal users.  Maybe it should be in /sbin.

that was as an example.  here is probably a better one:

DESCRIPTION
       gnome-panel-add-launcher  allows  you to add a launcher in
       the Gnome panel. Generally never  used  from  the  command
       line, except if you know what you are doing.

it lives in /usr/bin

my point: there is precedent for programs that you would not (cannot
use? in the case of login(1)) use directly, but are in a users $PATH.

-john