Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:02:58AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 09:40:10AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:19:11AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> > > [jaqque@athena:~]% login
> > > No utmp entry.  You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh"
> > > zsh: exit 1     login
> >
> > This is a restriction that the Hurd login doesn't have.  login works fine
> > at any level, for any user.  I don't know why login is in /bin on GNU/Linux,
> > though, if it can't be used by normal users.  Maybe it should be in /sbin.
>
> that was as an example.  here is probably a better one:
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        gnome-panel-add-launcher  allows  you to add a launcher in
>        the Gnome panel. Generally never  used  from  the  command
>        line, except if you know what you are doing.
>
> it lives in /usr/bin
>
> my point: there is precedent for programs that you would not (cannot
> use? in the case of login(1)) use directly, but are in a users $PATH.

I can easily believe this, with so many packages being in Debian.  That
doesn't it is the right thing to do, though, or that it isn't even a policy
violation.

There are also many programs in /sbin that I consider to be very useful as a
normal user without privileges (oh, and I am using them), particularly in
GNU/Hurd, but even in GNU/Linux.  For example, I frequently create file
system images mit mke2fs.  Sometimes such programs are border cases
(gnome-panel-add-launcher might be one, I didn't check).  Sometimes it is
pretty clear (a disfunctional login has no place unless we are missing
something, like some options which make it run, or some historical reason
why it must be there).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de