Education ???? skill level

The free source development groups like Debian require a high level of programing
skill to be able to contribute to the group. The point "empirical education" by
lower the skill level required to contributing to the Debian herd OS ..... for my
OS course would benefit everybody...... I don't want to be presenting information
about the past close operating system, but future  free OS systems.

Is there anyone in the Debian development group teaching OS .... Does anyone have
any ideas how I might go about lowing the skill requirement ..... or can suggest a
course of study that would bring someone up to some type of functional level that
would allow participation.

I would like to use my time teaching 80 some students how to join and help in free
source software....  :-)