Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:40:27AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> You may prefer it, but if people aren't interested you should just move
> on to implementation.

I have a enough code to write that is not going to be thrown away
unconsidered, that I don't have time to write code that nobody is
interested in.  I am not convinced by any write-some-code-first-then-
think-about-about-creating-a-bit-of-design-around-it software development
strategy.

If I were as firm in my design proposal that I would think it is the only
way to fix the problem and there is no other way to do it, I would probably
do the code writing up front, but the reason to ask is because there is
choice or the uncertainess of validity.  Sometimes the uncertain parts are
individual components and can be left out, but sometimes the uncertainness
affects the whole design in a fundamental way.

> If you're waiting for a perfect design you're going to be waiting a long time.

It doesn't need to be perfect, but it needs to hold water.

> Especially in a project like this, where there's a long history of people
> dropping grand plans and then walking away, code (even prototype code)
> speaks louder than words.

I have picked on the grand plan to work on Debian GNU/Hurd, have written
code for several GNU projects, got nwe featuers into dpkg and Debian policy
changed to my needs, and provided patches for several dozen of packages in
Debian, and this for over three years now.  Do you really think there is a
high risk I am missing determination?

People who are deaf to anything but code are missing out a lot of the fun in
software development.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de