Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 10:44:06AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 06:56:40AM -0700, James Morrison wrote:
> > --- Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Nobody's saying The Hurd can't ditch the Debian Way. However, if The Hurd
> > > wants to stay part of Debian, it can not do so.
> > >

> >  Someone may eventually do this, but debian is a very good system, and
> >  I believe by working on Debian GNU/Hurd I can make Debian itself
> >  better.
>
> Yes, there are people working on debian hurd who appear to see value in
> what is already here and genuinely want to both be a part of and improve
> our system. I, at least, welcome those people. It is the hurd developers
> who seem to have nothing but contempt for our work that lead me to
> wonder about their presence here.

You are very confused about who the developers of the Hurd ("the hurd
developers") are.  I don't really draw a hard line like this, but probably
the best approximation is the list of people having CVS commit right to the
Hurd source code.

Those people are (there are some more currently inactive):
Thomas Bushnell, Roland McGrath, Marcus Brinkmann, Neal H Walfield, Jeff Bailey

there are more contributors who have submitted patches etc (I consider them
all to be part of our community, if they work on Debian or not), but the ones
above are the active people with an official status (if you care about such
things).

All these people are proper Debian members.  All of them follow
debian-hurd@lists.debian.org very closely.  And at least Thomas, Jeff and me
are very active in Debian in general (for example the -legal list).

And this is not an accident: The decision to build Debian GNU/Hurd as the
binary distribution of the Hurd was made actively, and with both goals in
mind: to fully explore the Hurd's possibility, but also to improve Debian and
the underlying code base and let the whole of Debian benefit from the
improvements.  If there would be nothing but contempt, how would you explain
those facts?

Your generalization is completely unjustified and the distinction you make
doesn't even exist, and it is difficult for me to understand what leads to
you having this impression.  I invite you to join us on the lists and watch
our development process a bit, and maybe try out the Hurd sometime.  Then
you hopefully will get a different impression of our work and the people
behind it than you have now.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de