Re: Woody / Stable

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:36:25AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> I agree with that, what makes the people more nervous is the fact that
> there isn't a clear target milestone,
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There certainly is.  Milestone T-1: set up security infrastructure.
Milestone T: release Woody.

Go review the debian-devel-announce archives.  Our release manager has very
carefully spelled out each "next step" that needed to be taken, and put a
fair amount of thought and energy into coming up with guestimates as to how
long each step should take whenever it was within his abilities to do so.
This is a publicly archived mailing list, folks, with an open subscription
policy.  It's not as if they were "on display on the bottom of a locked
filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavoratory with a sign on the door saying
'Beware of the Leopard'".

> nobody (outside) knows what is debian wainting for to be ready.

Bull puckey.  Is it such a burden to check the news at, for example,
debianplanet.org, which carried the news of the delay the very day it was
announced by our release manager?  You don't even need to resort to
"obscure" developer mailing lists to do that.

http://debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=666&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

And as you can see in the followups, debianplanet provides ample space for
people to whine^H^H^H^H^Hdiscuss the Debian release process.  I really don't
think Debian keeps the public in the dark.

> IMO, debian could publish a Target
> Milestone Page with the state of them.

I disagree.  This would add yet another burden to the already overburdened
release manager.  No further work by Debian needs to be done on this.
Anthony Towns has done a great job of keeping everyone informed.

Ben