Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 14:38, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Sean Middleditch <elanthis@awesomeplay.com> writes:
>
> > Actually, the reason /usr was used because way way back in the day
> > (a couple handcounts of years), you couldn't put a full usable
> > filesystem on one device.  You'd often have multiple
> > reels/tapes/drums/disk/whatever, and it was very useful to be able
> > to boot into the system, then mount /usr.  That way, you had your
> > system stuff in / (and /bin, /sbin, etc.) and the user programs and
> > utilities in /usr.
>
> *Originally*, it wasn't even this.
>
> /usr is where the home directories went.  The whole system did once
> fit in /, but there was a desire to have a place to put user home
> directories.  That was /usr.  In other words, the original /usr served
> the purpose that /home did.

Ah,I thought /usr was used how I originally stated, and they made
/usr/home - I still see /usr/home on a lot of old-timer UNIX systems.

Ah well, guess I need to flog the authors of some computer history
papers/book.  ~,^