Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> writes:

> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 04:41:08PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > The problem is that we don't have /libexec in Debian GNU/Linux (we do
> > > in GNU/Hurd).
> >
> > Are you implying that the Hurd is violating the FHS and thus Debian
> > policy?
>
> The GNU Coding Standards already specify /libexec for years, we are
> not going to change it because some spin-off of the *Linux* Standard
> Base says so. There isn't a GNU/Hurd annex for the FHS either, it will
> always violate the FHS without one. I already wrote an annex plus the
> needed changes to make the current GNU system compliant with the FHS,
> I need to finish the last bits and send it to the FHS mailinglist. I
> hope they will accept it.

Is there any reason why libexec is not in the LSB?  It's a good idea,
and is supported by all the GNU packaging/build tools.  It would be
nice to have libexec in Debian GNU/Linux too.  It's in use by the
various BSDs, so most packages already support using it.

--
Roger Leigh
                ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **