Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

> Previously Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > libexec should be separated from lib for the same reason that etc
> > should be separate from var: it makes good sense to separate different
> > kinds of files rather than dumping them all in one directory.
>
> /etc contains configurable data, /var contains volatile data.
> /lib contains files that are use by various programs to implement part
> of their functionality, either by using ELF dynaminc linking, including
> modules for scripting languages or running helper applications. I
> do not see the conflict.

I can describe *anything* this way, you know:

/etcvar contains host-specific files that change sometimes
/lib contains things that should be searched by linkers with -l
/libexec contains things executed that should not be in anyone's path

The question is: is the /etc and /var distinction useful?  Yes.

And, is the /lib and /libexec distinction useful?  Yes.

> Oh come on, please notice the `may' in there. I don't claim to know
> the absolute truth or The One True Way. I want to see good arguments,
> and so far I have seen exactly zero.

You've seen about five.  But regardless, debian-devel is so totally
the wrong forum for the discussion...