Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

Forgot to cc this to the list.. The message is attached.

--- Begin Message ---
I think your case would be more convincing if you mentioned some
particular reason why Debian ought to upgrade.  Presumably it supports
more cards or something.  Having the current version is not super
important in and of itself.

It's the hardware support. People are getting sick of VGA/VESA. I thought that it would be obvious.

I think Debian should put all its resources right at the moment into a
freeze first of all.

So, Debian has a fixed number of developers, all working at 100%? I thought that it was fuzzy number of developers working when they feel like they are able and want to code (which is what free software is all about, IMO).

Nobody is stopping you building your own version of XF86 4.2 debs and
putting them up on a web page, or encouraging/paying other people to

I guess you didn't read my original message: the problem is that I know next to nothing about Debian.

> do so.  Mere assertion that other people could do a better job than
> Branden is not very persuasive.

Maybe not *better* job, but they could do it *now* .. Also, if Branden is working on 4.1.0, why doesn't someone else do 4.2.0? Sounds like two separate projects to me.

What comes to encouraging other people - guess what I'm doing right now.

At reasonable rates, I would expect it to cost at least USD10000,
possibly a lot more, to build and test a reasonable combination of
platforms and systems.

I believe "Unstable" (or even "Testing") is for testing and there surely are people willing to test it. Putting it together so that it runs on i386 really shouldn't be a big problem for any Debian developer.

Other platforms aren't nearly as significant as i386 (not many users, no much new hardware).

So what if he names you?

Then I'll be spending lot of time in the local library, trying to learn how *nix/Debian work, and the release will take forever. Bad choice, really.

Surely this is a troll?

Nope, I'm for real. Maybe a bit provocative, but for real.

- Tronic -

--- End Message ---