Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:25:47PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:47:42PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > It's your own fault. You choosed to run non-free software, now you get
> > the consequences. Debian doesn't support vmware, so go somewhere else
> > with your vmware problems. (Debian does support plex86 and bochs, BTW)
>
> As this might be a bit too offensive I apologize if you read it that
> way. Here is an alternative wording which says what I actually meant
> (I never try to write a mail quickly just before I got to bed):
>
> This problem is very common for non-free software. If you want to
> avoid such problems, you could try one of the free alternatives in
> Debian, plex86 and bochs. Those might have other problems (like being
> slower) but you probably won't have the same problems you're having
> now. We can also help you with problems you are having with plex86 and
> bochs. If you insist on using vmware, we can't help you, you should go
> to the vmware guys when you've got problems.

Have you ever tried to do any work beyond the boot process in plex86?
It's unbearably slow.  I have a day job, as well as spending plenty of
time doing other Debian work; it's not like I have time to sit down,
spend hours beating on plex86 (it's a real pain to get going, I did it
anyway!), and then spend months of my life making it faster.  There is
only one program in the caliber of VMWare, and that's VMWare itself.
You're perfectly free to not use it, but those of us who have to get
work done are also perfectly free to use it - and Debian's Social
Contract, as Anthony pointed out, says that we'll try to help people
who need to do that.

Plex86 is not an alternative to VMWare in any reasonable sense of the
word.