Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 02:53:59PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:25:47PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:47:42PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > It's your own fault. You choosed to run non-free software, now you get
> > > the consequences. Debian doesn't support vmware, so go somewhere else
> > > with your vmware problems. (Debian does support plex86 and bochs, BTW)
> >
> > As this might be a bit too offensive I apologize if you read it that
> > way. Here is an alternative wording which says what I actually meant
> > (I never try to write a mail quickly just before I got to bed):
> >
> > This problem is very common for non-free software. If you want to
> > avoid such problems, you could try one of the free alternatives in
> > Debian, plex86 and bochs. Those might have other problems (like being
> > slower) but you probably won't have the same problems you're having
> > now. We can also help you with problems you are having with plex86 and
> > bochs. If you insist on using vmware, we can't help you, you should go
> > to the vmware guys when you've got problems.
>
> Have you ever tried to do any work beyond the boot process in
> plex86?

Not really as I didn't got the Hurd beyond the boot process.

> It's unbearably slow.

If I'm right the plex86 developers know why it's slow.

> I have a day job, as well as spending plenty of
> time doing other Debian work; it's not like I have time to sit down,
> spend hours beating on plex86 (it's a real pain to get going, I did it
> anyway!), and then spend months of my life making it faster.  There is
> only one program in the caliber of VMWare, and that's VMWare
> itself.

But if it doesn't work because there is a bug in VMWAre and it isn't
fixed because the version it too old, we can't help those people who
are running VMWare.

> You're perfectly free to not use it, but those of us who have to get
> work done are also perfectly free to use it - and Debian's Social
> Contract, as Anthony pointed out, says that we'll try to help people
> who need to do that.

If I'm right, but correct me if I'm wrong, debian-devel isn't a
mailinglist to ask questions about every random piece of software
which runs on Debian.

> Plex86 is not an alternative to VMWare in any reasonable sense of the
> word.

It is IMHO. Just like that GNU/Linux is an alternative to
windows. (But it isn't even "user-friendly", how could it ever be an
alternative???)

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org