Re: The GNU FDL is a free license! (Was: Re: O: gnu-standards -- GNU coding standards)

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:24:44PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > The FDL is not DFSG-compliant, but that doesn't make it non-free.
> >
> > By the definitions we have given "non-free", it is exactly that.
>
> If it was software, it was non-free. Our definitions are only about
> software. The GNU FDL is about documentation, which is a totally
> different.
>
> Besides that, are our definitions right?

That's not for me to decide.  Debian has one definition - software.  We
define Debian as entirely software and specifically entirely free
software.  We hold everything to that definition currently, though there
clearly is not a consensus that we should continue doing so.

Debian has no concept of non-software and our only metric of freeness is
the DFSG.  The GNU FDL fails to do this.  We are hypocrites to make an
exception just because it's a GNU license.  Either the license is a
mistake (as I believe) or our method of determining a thing's freeness
needs to be relaxed.  I don't intend to support relaxing our definition of
free very much.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>                    Not many fishes

<Endy> Actually, I think I'll wait for potato to be finalised before
       installing debian.
<Endy> That should be soon, I'm hoping. :)
<knghtbrd> Endy: You obviously know very little about Debian.