Re: O: gnu-standards -- GNU coding standards

Il dom, 2002-04-07 alle 19:12, Joe Wreschnig ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 06:14, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > people, i just want to remember you that DFSG stands for debian free
> > SOFTWARE guidelines. documentation is *not* software
>
> Unfortunately this is becoming less true. CSS contains statements for
> content generation and counting variables. Is this a program? I'm not
> sure, but it's definitely not just a document anymore. XSLT can be
> included as "documentation" (and probably is in a lot of places, in or
> outside of Debian), and XSLT is Turing-complete. Where does the line get
> drawn? Is it possible to draw one?

documentation != document. XSLT is cleary a program and s stylesheet
should go under a code license. but a manual about programming in XSLT
is definitely documentation and should be treated in a different way.

> IMO, an FDL-licensed document with invariant sections is non-free. As a
> user of Debian, I'd like to know that they're not installed on my system
> if I'm only using packages from main.

IYO. IMHO they *are* free. i explain why: if i write a 300 pages book
about something and 2 pages about my motivations, greetings to people
that helped me, etc. i want you to fix the 300 pages of technical stuff
but i don't see why you should the 'feelings' i put in that 2 pages.
you're *free* to adapt the document to your liking and even add some
comments (invariant) criticizing my own, but litterature (even technical
one) is much different from code.

federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio