Re: A replacement for gnome-sudo (was Re: localeconf package)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:31:27 +0100
Jochen Voss <jvoss2@web.de> wrote:

> Hello Gustavo,
>
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:13:27AM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > to create a replacement for gnome-sudo that uses su instead of sudo,
> > I borrowed some parts of gnome-sudo and learned a lot on kdesu's sources
> I did not read this thread until now and I did
> not try your program neither.  But ...
>
> Do you know of the xsu program?  It seems to serve
> a very similar purpose and is already packaged for
> Debian.  How do the programs differ?
hmmm... gksu is simpler, its purpose is to be used on programs that will set
most options automagically (so user won't have to fill command/username and
won't even see those)... the most interesting part, I think, comes from gnome-sudo,
which is gksu grabs X input while receiving the password...

its important to note that gksu was made to learn more gtk/C, I am asking people
if it is good enough... I would find it very useful to use gksu on programs like
gnome-apt and gkdebconf, that need root, instead of using xterm -e as it is done
now.... I would not like to use xsu on a menu item...

we could use some of these programs on su-to-root if DISPLAY is set.... I think
that's quite user friendly, and would work well

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |