Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 04:55:04PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> >  - using UTF8 as the default charset
>
> Bad idea. Use whatever the user set for the locale. And locales already have
> a default charset.
>
> Make that "have all locales correctly deal with UTF8". If the user wants to
> use his locale with an UTF8 charset, so be it. Otherwise, leave it alone.

I don't see why using UTF8 as default is bad. UTF8 is the way it's
supposed to be, all those other charsets are just dirty hacks. UTF8
doesn't restrict you in any way AFAICT. So I think using UTF8 as the
default does make sense.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org