Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"DGMS" == Davide G M Salvetti <salve@debian.org> writes:

 AH> Yes, correct.  I should have said that files in /etc are edittable
 AH> config files.  This means either using dpkg's conffile mechanism,
 AH> or, easily broken maintainer script versions.

	FUD. Maybe your maintainer scripts are easily broken, but
 others may create robust versions.

 DGMS> The Debian auctex and mailcrypt packages don't mark
 DGMS> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50auctex.el and
 DGMS> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50mailcrypt.el as conffiles.

	This is a serious bug, as per policy.

 DGMS> They are no meant to serve any other purpose, are one-liner, and also
 DGMS> aren't meant to be directly edited by the user

	Wrong. If they are in /etc/, they are meant to be editable. I
 often edit them to use cvs versions instead (which I store _elsewhere)

 DGMS> (however, if she actually does it, the packages feature a
 DGMS> minimal attempt to preserve her wishes).  They are where they
 DGMS> are 'cause the Debian Emacs policy requires them to be there.

	For a reason. This allows me to use CVS versions on some
 machine/user combinations, and Debian versions on others.

 DGMS> Should we change the Debian Emacs policy to allow me to put them
 DGMS> somewhere else?

	We should not.

 DGMS> Maybe there is something I overlooked, like some other place outside
 DGMS> /etc/ where I could put them while keeping Emacs reading them on
 DGMS> startup?

	That should be a major reduction in functionality, and I would
 be inclined to call it a bug.

 DGMS> P.S.: Keep your fingers cool while answering, please. ;-)

	I tried.

	manoj
--
 The angry man always thinks he can do more than he can. Albertano of
 Brescia