Re: It's Huntin' Season

Hi!

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:04:16PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"DGMS" == Davide G M Salvetti <salve@debian.org> writes:
>
>  AH> Yes, correct.  I should have said that files in /etc are edittable
>  AH> config files.  This means either using dpkg's conffile mechanism,
>  AH> or, easily broken maintainer script versions.
>
> 	FUD. Maybe your maintainer scripts are easily broken, but
>  others may create robust versions.

It seems that, once again, we disagree... ;-)

Perhaps your script are always perfect and never break anything, I don't
know... (I would be really impressed, but it's still possible.)

But, if everyone ships his/her own script, it's quite sure that some of
them will be broken.

I think there are several reasons to prefer using dpkg's conffile
mechanism:

   * if lot's of packages use it, there are chances that bugs will be
     found faster

   * if it's broken, more people will be interested in getting it fixed

Can you please tell me one good reason to prefer maintainer scripts?

Regards,

Nicolas