Re: It's Huntin' Season

AH> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:56:23PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:

[...]

>> > Files in /etc are to be marked conffiles.  Period.  End of story.
>> > Have a nice day.
>>
>> Or (XOR) preserved across upgrades by maintainer scripts, of course.

AH> Yes, correct.  I should have said that files in /etc are edittable
AH> config files.  This means either using dpkg's conffile mechanism,
AH> or, easily broken maintainer script versions.

The Debian auctex and mailcrypt packages don't mark
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50auctex.el and
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50mailcrypt.el as conffiles.

Those file need not necessarily exist: if they do not, they are
dynamically created at installation time if the user answer yes to the
relevant debconf question, asking if she wants the respective packages
to be auto loaded at her site.

They are no meant to serve any other purpose, are one-liner, and also
aren't meant to be directly edited by the user (however, if she actually
does it, the packages feature a minimal attempt to preserve her wishes).
They are where they are 'cause the Debian Emacs policy requires them to
be there.

Should we change the Debian Emacs policy to allow me to put them
somewhere else?

Maybe there is something I overlooked, like some other place outside
/etc/ where I could put them while keeping Emacs reading them on
startup?

P.S.: Keep your fingers cool while answering, please. ;-)

--
Salve, | GNU PG (GPG) Key ID: 939686D5
Davide | <http://www.linux.it/~salve/>