Re: Two suggestions for woody release

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Yes, of course there's apt pin support, but the people we're most
> concerned about not accidentally running unstable are the ones least
> capable of figuring out pin support on their own.  So for Thomas's idea
> to work, there needs to be either an easy interface to allow users to
> configure this functionality, or a failsafe pin config that does what's
> needed.  I agree though that as far as raw apt functionality is
> concerned, we seem to already be where we need to be.

Coming in a bit late here, but this parallels something I was thinking
about today. base-config's apt-setup could easily add any set of
distributuons to sources.list and set up an apt.conf file to pin to the
release the user picks. The issues are:

* Doesn't work for CD only installs.
* Increases download time of apt-get update. Will this annoy users?
  Would I have to ask if they want this done?
* base-config is supposed to be frozen already.

--
see shy jo