Re: Two suggestions for woody release

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Having this done automatically on upgrade is touchy; there may be
> non-Debian repositories in the user's sources.list already, and adding a
> preferences file on top of that could break existing configs.  At best,
> this would have to be done with the user's explicit consent; at worst,
> we'll find that no maintainer of an existing package of sufficient
> priority considers this an appropriate fit for his/her package.
>
> A quick scan of all Priority: required and Essential: yes packages
> suggests to me that the only other existing package suitable for this
> would be base-files.  Santiago, are you averse to the idea of providing
> a default /etc/apt/preferences as part of this package?

(I assume you refer to /etc/apt/sources.list).

If APT does not provide this file, I think it should be provided by
the install system instead (i.e. boot-floppies), since apt is the
default install method.

(APT is not the only dselect method, so I don't think the file belongs
to base-files, which is essential).

Thanks.