Re: It's Huntin' Season

Malcolm Parsons <malcolm@ivywell.screaming.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:41:38PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > A lot of maintainers don't mark the files there as confiles because they
> > don't expect them to be edited.
>
> If you don't expect them to be edited then having them as conffiles
> will not cause any problems, as dpkg does not prompt unless they have
> been changed.  You cannot predict which .el files I will not want to
> change, so you must mark all of them as conffiles.

(As an aside, yes I can predict that you won't want to edit the file
that I didn't mark as a conffile, at least to the same degree that you
won't want to edit other elisp files in the package.  Why would you want
to break proper configuration?)

There is a caveat to now making it a conffile.  At the upgrade that
marks the passage of non-conffile to conffile, we get the dreaded
prompt:

Setting up gri-html-doc (2.8.6-1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50gri-html-doc.el'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** 50gri-html-doc.el (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

So every user will get one prompt for each file we migrate.  :-(

Peter