Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:41:38PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Malcolm Parsons <malcolm@ivywell.screaming.net> wrote:
> > If the .el files are not supposed to be edited they should not be in
> > /etc
>
> We discussed this on debian-emacsen last year. See:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-emacsen/2001/debian-emacsen-200102/msg00012.html

That thread includes an example where it is useful to edit a .el file,
so it should be a conffile.

> A lot of maintainers don't mark the files there as confiles because they
> don't expect them to be edited.

If you don't expect them to be edited then having them as conffiles
will not cause any problems, as dpkg does not prompt unless they have
been changed.  You cannot predict which .el files I will not want to
change, so you must mark all of them as conffiles.

> How about it, debian-emacsen collegues, is it time to set (or follow)
> policy and mark them _all_ as conffiles?  Do we have clear example of
> where this would be a nuisance?

Yes. No.