Re: It's Huntin' Season

 Peter> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
 >> when I noticed an
 >> interesting fact: none of my emacs packages actually ships with a
 >> file in in /etc, and I have checked: gnus, vm, and psgml.

 Peter> But they ship the empty directories.  ;-)

	True enough.

 Peter> So you don't setup autoloads or auto-mode-alist entries?

	Oh, I do. It is all done by the postinst, by the
 emacsen.install. Depending on the flavour the install script is
 called with, one may chose the start.d dir to copy the init .el file
 to.

	I guess I am violating the spirit, though not the letter, of
 policy by not testing to see if the previous startup script has been
 modified by the user. Hmm. Durnit.

 Peter> I guess the load-path add-on of subdirectories is done by
 Peter> modern emacsen anyway, but are they at the right place?  If
 Peter> so, perhaps we should discontinue the habit of adding anything
 Peter> to the load-path.

	As I noted in another message, not all supported emacsen do that.

 >> However, if files are shipped in /etc, they _have_ to be
 >> marked as conffiles, I think.

 Peter> Do we need another non-conffile directory to put startup files?
 Peter> I don't.  Does anyone else?

	I don't think so.  I may have to ask the question that dpkg
 asks. darn.

	manoj
--
 The Ranger isn't gonna like it, Yogi.