Re: Trying to fix slang

In article <[🔎] 20020130120420.GC4602@zewt.org> g_deb@zewt.org writes:
>The character set is, in a sense, part of the terminal definition.  It
>does not belong in $TERM, however, any more than any other property.
>(This used to be done for some properties, ie. terminal width; this
>causes a mess--remnents of this are present in terminfo(5).)

>Don't forget that changing terminal names means breaking $TERM
>compatibility with every older system out there, too.  No terminal
>emulators are actually going to change their default $TERM from "xterm"
>to "xterm-utf8".

Not changing the terminal name when you change the terminal definition
breaks things worse.  When I log into a linux box from a solaris or
AIX xterm window, the xterm terminal type just doesn't work.  It seems
that the xfree86 people didn't think about the problems caused by
their incompatibilities in a mixed environment.  (I'd file a bug on
this, but at this late date fixing it would cause more headakes than
it would solve.)