Re: Trying to fix slang

Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> cum veritate scripsit:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 04:16:20AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > The binary incompatibility between utf8 and nonutf8
> > versions has not been resolved.
>
> What reasons are there to use the non-UTF8 version?  Being able to drop in
> different versions is neat, but if there's no reason to use the non-UTF8
> version, why lose sleep over it?

I've read the source, and I think non-UTF8 version has support for
locales that are not UTF8.

UTF8 is not the mainstream (yet).

> Of course, the #define UTF8 problem needs to be fixed; the non-UTF8
> prototypes should never be used when linking against the UTF8 library.

Yes, please check the diff/upload pending that I have done.
It should solve most problems, if not all that exist in
the current version.

I don't really care about converting every program to
UTF8, or making new slang1 package that is binary incompatible with upstream
versions and every other distribution, or whatever else.

I need a base that works, and is bug free.

Please be prepared to recompile slang packages
with UTF8 support, if you so care.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4