Re: Trying to fix slang

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:48:22AM +0000, Phil Blundell wrote:
> > It'd also mean another, nonstandard step in enabling UTF-8--changing
> > your terminal type.
>
> Your terminal emulator ought to do that for you.  And it seems like a
> perfectly reasonable thing to do - graphics characters are absolutely
> part of the terminal capability set.

The character set is, in a sense, part of the terminal definition.  It
does not belong in $TERM, however, any more than any other property.
(This used to be done for some properties, ie. terminal width; this
causes a mess--remnents of this are present in terminfo(5).)

Don't forget that changing terminal names means breaking $TERM
compatibility with every older system out there, too.  No terminal
emulators are actually going to change their default $TERM from "xterm"
to "xterm-utf8".

> I'm not sure that it's all that easy to find out what the current
> character set is.

nl_langinfo(CODESET).

> Discussing the idea with the upstream maintainers does seem like a
> reasonable thing to do, though.  It would be interesting to hear what
> they have to say.

I've sent a mail; I'll follow up when I get a reply.

--
Glenn Maynard