Re: Trying to fix slang

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:34:45AM +0000, Phil Blundell wrote:
> Pretty much.  Xterm ought to provide an alternative terminfo entry with
> the correct ACS characters, and arrange to set TERM=xterm-utf8 or
> whatever when you use the -u8 option.  The thing about a 256-byte table
> in slang sounds a bit unfortunate though.

UTF-8 probably can't have them at all; no way to encode multibyte sequences
in acsc.

> The quick fix to get things like mutt going (after a fashion) would
> probably be to hack up an xterm-utf8 terminfo entry that just didn't
> declare any alternate character set at all.  That should cause slang to
> fall back on using ASCII characters for line drawing (|+_ and so on)
> which is ugly but at least serviceable.

But that means -utf8 entries for a *lot* of terminals; screen, linux,
xterm, VT100, etc--everything that uses ACS and all of their variants
(ie screen-w, xterm-color.)  It would probably be quicker to change
terminfo.  (Though, I think slang has its own terminfo implementation
for some reason, so it'd need to be done twice.)

I'll toss this problem at the ncurses/terminfo upstream and see what he
thinks.

--
Glenn Maynard