Re: Two suggestions for woody release

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:41:24AM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:44:04AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Yes, of course there's apt pin support, but the people we're most
> > concerned about not accidentally running unstable are the ones least
> > capable of figuring out pin support on their own.
>
> I don't really understand where you get this idea.  /etc/apt/preferences
> is a very simple file.  For example,
[example file explained]

Hello,

I'm not a developer, but I've been using Debian since hamm and lurk
occasionally on this list.  I consider myself a smart guy and a Debian
power user.  I upgraded to woody earlier this month, wanted to try
galeon, and could not for the life of me decipher what should go into
/etc/apt/preferences from the manual page.  I got an example from
another (more powerful, apparently) user on IRC and puzzled it out
from there, but I don't trust it and I'm going to be very wary for a
while before I do any dist-upgrading.

I don't know where Steve got the idea that the file is difficult to
figure out, but I'm sure not ready to explain it to anybody yet.

What would help would be a clearer manual page (I'd offer to write it,
but I don't understand how it works!) and an example in
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples, with explanatory comments.

I'll go back to userland now.

Rob

--
For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!