Re: Two suggestions for woody release

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
[...]
> 3) Developer says "your bug is fixed and you can get the fix by doing:
>     apt-get --distribution=sid install FOO
>   but be warned that this is not released, and so it (and newer
>   versions of things it depends on) might have bugs.  Or, you can
>   wait for the next release."
> 4) User says "Thanks!  You rock!"

> So what is necessary for this to work?

> Two things.  First, the --distribution option for apt should exist.

> Second, once the user has installed the package from some distribution
> other than their default, future apt-get runs automatically track the
> package in that non-default distribution.
[...]

This is already supported in apt-get in woody.

But I do not think it is a valid suggestion for a user running stable,
stable usually is too old. Pulling one package from sid will result
in a 50% Dist-Upgrade, because you[1] would be forced to upgrade the
major parts libc6, debconf (and therefore perl) for a simple text-only
tool. A graphical UI will add X, some dependency on gtk++'ll add
GNOME, etc.
          cu andreas
[1] "You" meaning that apt-get will do this automatically.
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_