Re: SPAM vs. open list

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 08:57, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> Juha Jäykkä <juhaj@iki.fi> writes:
> > It seems we have an agreement on not closing the list to subscribers
> > only as a measure against spam. Spam is irritating, how ever and I
> > would guess the amount of non-subscriber postings is quite low, so
> > this makes me think of an alternative solution: Why not moderate the
> > postings of non-subscribers? It would be easy to stop the spams at
> > moderators and let valid mails through.
>
> Not everyone sends from the same address they are subscribed as, and
> some aren't subscribed directly at all but instead read through a
> mail->news gateway or similar.
>
> One solution to this is to have an additional subscription list which
> permits posting to the main list but doesn't send them the articles;
> then those who read without being subscribed can still post without
> creating work for, or being delayed by, any hypothetical moderators.

Well, this might be a dumb idea, but how about something similar to the
subscription mails?  I.e., if I send a mail from
my-new-user@my-new-domain.com to a debian list, it sends a response
saying the message is held, awaiting moderation *or* a reply from me
(with such and such ID in the subject).  Then, I can get my mail thru
without bogging down administrators too much and most spam will be
stopped.  Plus, the message sent could have a link or instructions for
subscribing as well, which might be helpful for newbies and so on.

Or would this be too much trouble/too much mail bouncing around all over
the place?