Re: SPAM vs. open list

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 12:56, Juha Jäykkä wrote:
>   It seems we have an agreement on not closing the list to subscribers
> only as a measure against spam. Spam is irritating, how ever and I would
> guess the amount of non-subscriber postings is quite low, so this makes me
> think of an alternative solution: Why not moderate the postings of
> non-subscribers? It would be easy to stop the spams at moderators and let
> valid mails through.

There is an alternative in between an open list and a subscribed list,
that I quite like. I am intending to use this at out company, when I
find the time :(

http://software.libertine.org/tmda/ is Tagged Message Delivery Agent.
The gist is that the first time you send email to the receiveing SMTP
server is generates a request, which it sends to you, asking if you are
really sure you wish to submit this email to the server. The sender then
has to reply including a tag.

Is it viable to implement this on lists.debian.org?

--
Lars Bahner,
http://lars.bahner.com/

Nihil est sine ratione cur potius sit, quam non sit.