Re: debian on distrowatch

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 02:06, Joey Hess wrote:
> Scott Henson wrote:
> > Ok ok.  Here is my $0.02.  What we are talking about here is tasksel.
> > This is the simple package selection utility offered to a user at
> > install time.  The thing is that if you install taks "X window system"
> > you get Window Maker as your window manager.  But, on the other hand, if
> > you install task "desktop environment" you get Gnome.
>
> Actually, that gives you gnome and kde both, with the option to choose
> which environment to start up in gdm. At least that's what I'm told, I've
> never tried gdm.
>
> Also, selecting "X window system" does not give you window maker, it
> gives you *drumroll* twm.
>
> Ladislav, I suggest you put "gnome / kde" or something.

I dont know about the X task(I took the word of someone else).  But, as
for the desktop task, Im am totally sure that potatoe gives you just
gnome and not KDE.  Also under woody, here is the task info:

desktop

session managers, file managers and web browsers. It incorporates
both the GNOME and KDE desktops, and provides a display manager which
lets the user choose between the two.  As for sid Ill have to take
someone else's word for that.

Ok after going through tasksel again and looking up X.  I dont think
that provides a wm.  At least not in woody:
 It should be noted that a package providing x-window-manager and a
   package providing x-terminal-emulator should also be installed to
   ensure a comfortable X experience.

I am not an expert, I am just looking at what tasksel gives.

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu

 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever stealing from
the many to the few.  The manna of popular liberty must be gathered each
day, or it is rotten... The hand entrusted with power becomes, either
from human depravity or esprit de corps, the necessary enemy of the
people.  Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office be
prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation
can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty
be smothered in material prosperity... Never look, for an age when the
people can be quiet and safe.  At such times despotism, like a shrouding
mist, steals over the mirror of Freedom"
- Wendell Phillips