Re: no space left on device: LVM, Gnus --> dpkg, apt-get ?

On Sunday 6 January 2002 08:51, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> On Saturday 5 January 2002 00:24, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> >  Wow, now that's really cool.  What I'm wondering is, can "apt-get",
> >  "dpkg", and friends recover this easily from a device overflow?  Was
> >  that thought of during their design and implementation?  If it needs
> >  a little more space in "/var" or "/usr", can it notice that before
> >  filling the block device, and prompt me about it, so I can make some
> >  room somehow?  (either by removing files, dpkg --purging something,
> >  or using the LVM tools to extend the logical volume and then the
> >  filesystem utility to grow the filesystem.)
>
> That is funny. I had just this problem yesterday... I "apt-get upgrade"-ed
> and my HD was full... and now my system is in dubious state...
> Missing KDE icons. Or actually, i think this is caused by a versioning
> problem that is caused by the upgrade:
>
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.1
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
>
> I guess packages are only partly upgraded. Some files are, others are
> not... I can only fear what other incompatibilities are caused by the
> upgrade.

Actually, i have just read a debian-kde message about the PNG problem... That
seems to be a KDE specific problem.

That makes me wonder: is it possible that i am imagening things, and that the
upgrade went well, even though my HD was full? Did it actually install files
then, or did it not overwrite, because of the HD being full, and my files are
basically not upgraded, but just the version numbers in the index that dpkg
uses?

Egon