Re: no space left on device: LVM, Gnus --> dpkg, apt-get ?

On Saturday 5 January 2002 00:24, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  Wow, now that's really cool.  What I'm wondering is, can "apt-get",
>  "dpkg", and friends recover this easily from a device overflow?  Was
>  that thought of during their design and implementation?  If it needs
>  a little more space in "/var" or "/usr", can it notice that before
>  filling the block device, and prompt me about it, so I can make some
>  room somehow?  (either by removing files, dpkg --purging something,
>  or using the LVM tools to extend the logical volume and then the
>  filesystem utility to grow the filesystem.)

That is funny. I had just this problem yesterday... I "apt-get upgrade"-ed
and my HD was full... and now my system is in dubious state...
Missing KDE icons. Or actually, i think this is caused by a versioning
problem that is caused by the upgrade:

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.1
libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

I guess packages are only partly upgraded. Some files are, others are not...
I can only fear what other incompatibilities are caused by the upgrade.

Now, I am facing the following problem (after making more space):

- how can i determine which packages were updated yesterday?
- how can i (semi)-automatically reinstall these packages?

In the mean time i filed a bug (#127942) against apt for loss of non-critical
data. It can be argued wether it is loss or not, but anyway, my systems
expects files that are not installed, and thus are missing IMHO...

Egon