Re: no space left on device: LVM, Gnus --> dpkg, apt-get ?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Egon Willighagen wrote:

> That makes me wonder: is it possible that i am imagening things, and that the
> upgrade went well, even though my HD was full? Did it actually install files
> then, or did it not overwrite, because of the HD being full, and my files are
> basically not upgraded, but just the version numbers in the index that dpkg
> uses?

Do you mean with "my HD was full" that "df" says that it's used 100% ?
If yes then your HD isn't physically full, usually 5% of the blocks in a
partition are reserved - this means they aren't counted when "df"
estimates how many space is free on the device and only root can write to
the device if not more than the number of reserved blocks are free. Since
you did run dpkg as root you can write additional files to the partition
even though the partition is full.

> Egon

cu
Adrian